In this Video-Tutorial we show you 3 different methods how you can enter and define a pent roof in the 3D CAD house planning software cadvilla.
The basic workflow:
Pent roof (option 1):
- We select “Building” – “Roof construction” – “Insert roof” – “Insert roof on polygonal contour“. With the help of the polygon we define the area where we will create the roof. After it we press the right mouse button and we select “Complete”.
- The roof construction dialogue opens automatically. When we click on the “3D” Symbol we can open the preview window. In the preview window we can select the single roof sites with a left mouse click. We define the roof site on which we will create the pent roof with the profile “Hipped roof“, for the remaining roof sites we choose the profile “Gable“. After it we edit the “Pitch“, “Height” and the “Overhang” for each roof site and finally we can press “OK“. At this method the internal space of the building will be confined upwards by the underside of the roof, thereby it will have the angle of the inclined surface. No ceiling is necessary.
Pent roof (option 2):
- We create the roof on a new floor, therefore we make a right mouse click on the layer “Building” and we select “New floor above“. We enter a name for the new floor, we click on “Transfer” and we select the point “Walls“. After it we confirm with “OK“.
- Now we select “Building” – “Roof construction” – “Insert roof” – “Insert roof on selected contour“. We move the cursor in the 2D-view into the area where we want to create the roof. Cadvilla detects automatically the contour and displays it in green colour. We confirm with a left mouse click.
- The roof construction dialogue opens again automatically. We define like in the first option the single roof sites. To copy the properties of a roof site to other roof sites we can use the function “Multiple copy“. A dialogue window opens in which we can select the roof sites for the multiple copy. After it we click on “Transfer” and “OK“. After we have defined all properties in the roof construction dialogue we confirm again with “OK“.
- To edit the texture of the roof we can select a texture out of the catalogue. We press and hold the left mouse button and we drag the texture to the roof. We can also select “3D Functions” and “Edit Material” to edit the texture of the roof.
Flat roof (option 3):
- We create the roof on a new floor. We define the rough height of the new floor (in our example 0,66 meter > 0,16 meter for the thickness of the ceiling and 0,50 meter for the level of the ceiling) and we deselect the point “Create automatic ceiling“. We select the point “Transfer” and here we select again the “Walls“. After it we confirm with “OK“.
- Now we define with the help of guidelines (“2D & Layout” – “2D-Guidelines“) the overhang of the roof.
- After it we select “Building” – “Ceiling” – “Ceiling” – “Insert with polygon“. We make a right mouse click – “Properties“. Here we define the level of the ceiling (in our example 0,50m) and we confirm with “OK“. We enter the ceiling with the help of the polygon, after it we press the right mouse button and we select “Confirm“.
- The ceiling does not get displayed in the cadvilla standard settings. To display the ceiling in the 3D-view we press the right mouse button in the 3D-view, we select “Visibility” and we select the point “Ceilings“. After it we press “OK“.
- To create an attic we select “Construction” – “Sweep solid” – “Insert with polygon“. Now we select the surface for plane definition in the 3D-view, in our example the roof. After it we press the right mouse button – “Properties“. We select the correct reference point for the sweep solid and we define the width and the height of the solid, after it we press “OK“. We enter the sweep solid in the 2D-view, after it we press the right mouse button and we select “Complete”.
- If you have entered the sweep solid into the wrong direction you don’t have to delete it. Select the sweep solid – right mouse button – “Properties“. At the point “Direction” you can select the function “invert” to change the direction of the sweep solid.
- Of course you can also enter a boarder for the attic in the same way with the help of a sweep solid.
- Seep solids are only available in the product versions cadvilla professional and cadvilla professional plus. To create an attic in a smaller cadvilla version you can use the surface editor.
- To change the colour of the roof and of the attic you can copy the material of a consisting texture with the function “Transfer material“. Of course you can also edit an existing texture with the function “Edit material“.
This post is also available in: German